In this article, I am going to share with you USB Cable Buying Guide. I hope this guide will help to know in details about USB cable.
What is USB-C?
Over the past few years, the popularity of USB cables has grown manifolds. You will come across USB Type C ports in almost all the devices, for instance, your high-end laptop, external hard drives, latest smartphones. Generally, all the USB C port looks similar, but they serve different purposes. Basically, a USB cable’s function is to serve as an industry connector for the transmission of power and data on a single cable. You will notice a striking similarity between the USB C connector and micro USB connector. However, the USB C connector looks quite oval in shape.
There are so many varieties of USB cable, as well as their functionalities. Hence, it can be a tad bit confusing to deal with these USB cables. We are here to help you understand the different types of USB cables and their usage. In this elaborate USB cable buying guide, you will get all the relevant details related to the USB C port and cables.
- TOP 10 POWER BANK UNDER 1000
- HOW TO BUY A PHONE WITH THE BEST PROCESSOR?
- BEST BLUETOOTH EARPHONES IN INDIA
Six types of USB cables and their functions:
- Type A: This is the standard, rectangular, flat interface that you will come across on one of almost all the USB cables. USB A ports can be found on TVs, game consoles, etc.
- Type B: This is a square-shaped connector, which you will generally find in printers and powered devices.
- Mini USB: This is a small connector type and was common for mobile devices before the era of micro-USB. These are still used in PS 3, MP3 players, cameras, etc.
- Micro USB: At present, these are actively being used as standard connectors for tablets, smartphones, USB battery packs, game controllers, etc.
- Type C: The latest version is USB C and is currently quite popular among users. It offers better transfer rates as well as provides more power as compared to other USB variants.
- Lightning: Basically, it does not fall under the category of the USB standard. But it is the official connector of Apple for iPads, AirPods, iPhone, and so on.
What is USB On-The-Go?
USB On-The-Go or OTG is a standard that is available on multiple Android smartphones. Basically, its purpose is to allow portable devices to act as USB hosts.
Suppose you are having a smartphone, a laptop, and an external drive. In case you need to move files from your external drive to the smartphone, you will simply move the data from your drive to the laptop and then from the laptop to your smartphone. But in case you have a USB OTG, your smartphone will actually be able to host the external drive. So, you will not require a laptop anymore.
Usage of USB OTG
- USB OTG serves really well as it connects flash drives and external hard drives.
- A USB OTG will enable you to control your Android phone with a mouse and keyboard.
- You will be able to control your old Xbox 360 with your Android device, thanks to USB OTG.
- USB OTG allows you to print directly from a printer.
Things to keep in mind while buying a USB cable
- In case you possess an old Android phone or tablet, most probably it uses a micro-USB cable. Also, those users who heavily rely on Apple’s ecosystem will have to use micro USB. Also, it acts as a standard connector for Bluetooth speakers, battery packs, etc.
- If you are fond of buying gadgets, then you must have gathered multiple micro-USB cables by now. Most of them are interchangeable. So, you can use these cables with different gadgets.
- While buying a USB cable, never ever go for the cheapest option. You will a poorly made cable that will cause multiple issues. It may lead to slow charging, unreliable performance, short circuit, and much more. So, always go for the one that is of top-notch quality.
- It is not always necessary to buy a USB cable from your device’s manufacturer. However, adhering to a recognized brand is always a good idea.
- Another significant aspect that you need to keep in mind is the length of the USB cable. While short cables are suitable if you want portability, they do not allow you to sit far away from the power outlet. Also, a cable that is too long can result in a tripping hazard, and you may find it inconvenient to carry from one place to another. So, what is the ideal length for buying a USB cable? We will suggest you buy a USB cable which is 3 feet long. A USB cable of this much length will allow you to keep your phone in hand while it is still connected to the power socket. But if you want to use your device quite far away from the power outlet, then go for a 6 feet long USB cable.
Now that you know everything in detail about USB cables you can, for sure, make an intelligent decision while placing an order for your new USB cable. Just go through this detailed USB cable buying guide, and you will be able to make the best choice ever.